When Should You Replace Your Mattress?

When Should You Replace Your Mattress?


When was the last time you replaced your mattress?  If you haven’t gotten a good night’s sleep and don’t feel well rested, it may be a good idea to look into a new mattress.


 Each mattress is different when it comes to lifespan.  Obviously, a quality mattress will last much longer than one that is not as top notch.  But, the different types of mattress construction really weigh into the longevity of your mattress.  For instance, most innerspring mattresses are rated to last between 5 and 8 years.  While some latex mattresses may last up to 20 years, depending on the quality composition of the mattress.

 Another thing to consider is your mattress foundation.  Mattresses and foundations are typically designed to complement each other as sets, and are best kept that way.  For most mattress sets, up to 70% of the wear is in the moving foundation, leaving only 30% of the wear in the mattress itself.  If your old box spring is causing the mattress to sag, replacing only the mattress will result in a shorter lifespan of the new mattress.  That new mattress will begin to sag much quicker on the old box spring, than it would when paired with a new, complementary foundation.

If you are using an innerspring mattress, you should start keeping an eye on the mattress when it reaches 5 years of age.  But if you are beginning to lose sleep, wake up unrefreshed or can’t get comfortable at night, get in touch with a local Sleep Specialist to determine whether you need a new mattress.